We sing along and maybe dance to them, but some of the most durable, crowd-pleasing music is not so happy. In no particular order:
- Don’t Stop Believing. Great sentiment, though.
- Livin’ On A Prayer. Tommy and Gina had it rough.
- Scenes From An Italian Restaurant. Just a little better for Brenda and Eddie.
- Hollywood Nights. Fate was unkind to this couple too. It would be great to be one of the backup singers though.
- Layla. Supposedly, Eric loved Pattie but she was already with George.
- Born In The USA. In 1984 Ronald Reagan cited his song when discussing America’s “hopes and dreams,” apparently unaware that the song is about a returning Vietnam veteran trying to rebuild his civilian life.
- All I Want For Christmas. If Mariah Carey had to plead, is there hope for the rest of us?